Sunday, October 14, 2012

Déjà tune...


Something is really irking the troubadour in me, three songs have been released recently and I can't help but think where have I heard this before? Why are artists doing this and does anyone else notice what's going on or is it just me? Either way, this is how my brain works.

The first one took me awhile to put my finger on, much to Brandy's dismay I whistled the tune over and over and over again until it finally came to me. The single is from Jason Mraz titled "I Won't Give Up" not the whole song but the bridge at 2:14 in the video.

If you don't want to listen to the whole song here is the link to the sections I am referring to: http://youtu.be/TdN5GyTl8K0?t=2m14s and http://youtu.be/tpGRdX5sUAs?t=26s 




At 2:14 it sounds very much like the same as 0:26 of Afternoon Delight by Starland Vocal Band.




Now that I have you whistling to an earworm of Afternoon Delight, the next song was easy to figure out, whenever it comes on the radio I immediately think of the song that predates it.

The piano intro and riff that Kidd Rock used for his song All Summer Long...





is from Warren Zevon's Werewolves of London!!!




You have to admit that one was either an intentional tribute or blatant theft, I'm sure you all pick up on that one.


The third one may not be familiar to many as the song that Pink's new release "Blow Me One Last Kiss" reminds me of isn't that well known, but I like it.




"Blow Me One Last Kiss" rings awfully familiar of "Earthquakes and Sharks" by Brandtson



and 0:46 here http://youtu.be/tTIUDsb2XGs?t=46s


Anyway, that's my warped mind and the wonderful world of music that resonates in my head and my helmet.

-

6 comments:

  1. Interesting comparisons. Sometimes even just the chord changes and timing are enough to remind you of another song.

    BTW, the mobile version of your sight is unreadable. I get blue text on brown background. Bloggers mobile versions are sometimes weird so I just disabled the feature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking of reminding, Brandy and I will pick songs out from conversations and break out in song.

      I changed my mobile to simple template so that should help, thanks for letting me know.

      Delete
  2. Yup, you nailed it.

    Though it's happened for decades (song borrowing/sampling/stealing), I've seen it a lot more in the past 10 years.

    Sometimes they get caught, sometimes they don't.

    Guess the new "artists" are running out of inspiration?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Dan and for the link, I've added you to by blog roll as well. ->

      Have artists covered every combination of notes there are, is it possible there are no more?

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the earworms! I'm with Dan... these folks are probably short on inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always up for placing earworms with a simple whistle, driving Brandy crazy for the day, but she plays well and usually gets me back.

      Delete

Comments are more than welcome, however, thanks to an increase in anonymous spammers of late, you now must be a registered user to comment.

Thank you spammers!